Saturday, November 22, 2008

3/4 of the way there...

The tile in the kitchen/dining room is so close to done, yet it feels so far when I look at what still needs to be done.  The tile itself is all finally laid (except 3 tiles) as of last night.  It has an odd stopping point because we decided against starting into the bathroom before we have Thanksgiving guests (the more bathrooms available, the better).  I have been scraping out the thin set between the tiles today in hopes that we can get it grouted tonight - and then the moulding up and the heater covers back on!  Unfortunately, I think the hardest part is still ahead.  We have a sunken living room, divided from the kitchen by 2 stairs.  We still have never officially decided what we want to do with the stairs, but I made the executive decision and removed the carpet from them.  Doug also needs to build a stair for the other end of the living room (unless I beat him to it).  

Doug re-set our toilet in our bathroom, so at least we have one more toilet (as long as you don't want to wash your hands when you are done).  I have also been scraping out the grout in our shower and I will have that grouted before Doug is home today and seal it first thing Monday.  This afternoon I am hoping to paint the bathroom where the cabinet was torn out and we are putting in a pedestal sink.  Doug has a few parts to pick up and then we will have a working sink.  I need to finish building our cabinets for our bathroom, but they're pretty low on the priority list.  Don't hold your breath for a "finished product" picture any time soon.

One of our friends said, "You must really like fixing up houses."  No, and I thought I was buying a house with relatively little to do.  Projects just seem to escalate out of hand around here.  All I wanted to do was replace the floor in the dining room.  The end.  We just start into projects and can't seem to resist making them a little more complicated than they really ever needed to be.  I keep saying that our next house will be done before we move into it.

While my mom was here, we took apart my vacuum (into a million and one pieces) to clean it - it just wasn't picking anything up.  Well, yesterday I received some new parts and now it is like new.  I have been vacuuming the house over and over and over.  I love vacuum lines.  They are so pretty and make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.  

I know, boring post, but I had to make sure you all knew I wasn't sitting around watching soap operas and eating bon bons.   

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a thing for vacuum lines. Jens makes fun of me for it, and rolled his eyes when my #1 criteria for our new carpet was what kind of vacuum lines it would leave.
But the people who bought our house last year actually asked me how I got such great lines in the carpet - I'm convinced it helped sell our house.

Koren said...

You make me exhausted just reading your posts. You put (most of)us all to shame with your ambition. At least I accomplished something while I was there--the renewed vacuum. Now if I could just figure out how to turn a bad room nobody wants into a "good room."

Amber said...

I thought we all were eating bon bons and watching stuff! Didn't we make a mom-pact about it? Good luck with everything on the house. Someday it will be just where you want it and your husband will up and decide to move to California...