Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Update

Brenden had a fever Saturday night and it lasted until Monday afternoon. He missed school Monday and Tuesday, but is back today with only an occasional mild cough. Brenden is so lucky - he gets over things in half the time it takes everyone else. I went to pick up his homework Monday and quite a few kids were missing. I have heard that many classes averaged only 9 kids Monday. Nolan has been stuffy (and impossible to understand), but hasn't had the high fever. Ethan had the fever for a day and is perfectly fine now.

Doug made lunch for Brenden last week. Usually I do that, but Doug was trying to help with the hectic morning routine. When Brenden came home he told me that he couldn't eat his sandwich because it was yucky. He told Doug that later - along with, "But it's okay Dad, you do other things good... like build stuff... like the swing set... and you... uh... do other things good." How sweet - he was trying to spare Doug's feelings.

Nolan sometimes wakes up in the middle of the night screaming that his leg hurts. It's always the previously-broken leg, so he is going in for x-rays on Friday. Brenden often complains that his legs hurt when he is having growing pains, but it is always both legs and Nolan only ever complains about the right one.

I discovered two weeks ago that my Utah teaching license expired in June. I thought I had until next June. So now I have been working on getting my Alaska teaching license. They make it very hard and very expensive. The district also makes it very hard to substitute. I have to apply like any other employee, get a physical exam, go to a class, fill out oodles of paperwork, and on and on and on. I have calculated that in order to be a certified substitute, it will cost me $467. I will only make the equivalent of TWO HOURS of Doug working - even less if I am non-certified. I am only planning to sub on the days Doug is home - if someone calls. I have everything I need to re-license in Utah (other than the money), so I don't know that it's worth it to certify in Alaska. Decisions, Decisions.

10/7 Doug had cleared all of the leaves from the lawn two days earlier. Boy do we have a lot of trees!
Brenden has chores to do everyday after school. I write them on a chore list that he can see when he walks in the door. This day his chore chart only said: 1.) Make Halloween Cookies 2.) Decorate Halloween Cookies
10/8 The temperature in my kitchen while cooking dinner.
10/10 More leaf clean-up. We are very fortunate to have this tractor with a sweeper that pulls behind. I can't even imagine raking ALL of these. A good deal of raking still happens, but less.
And then the fun begins!
10/12 Doug was home with Nolan for the day, so they went fishing. Last year the lake was frozen by now and this year we haven't even seen any snow yet!
Brenden had a cub scout meeting that night.
They decorated Halloween cookies.
10/13 Ketchup or Blood?
Silly Faces
10/14 We rented a bobcat so that we could move our greenhouse and knock down an old shed. I am still so thrilled with everything Doug got done that day!
I need to blog more often again. I know there were little stories I wanted to share, but I can't remember them now. But - imagine this - I had time to read a book. READ A BOOK. Wow. (We might have laundry piled to the ceiling, but I read a book!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your kids are so lucky. You've created a home that's the perfect place to grow up. Fishing, leaf piles, bulldozer rides..... You guys are awesome!

Leacayoungart said...

wow that is a lot of leaves.

Marinda said...

There are a lot more leaves than when I was there! Holy smokes. Yeah on moving the greenhouse. It was in a wierd spot anyway and will look much better when it is NOT in the middle of the yard. Looks like the boys had fun in the leaves. Miss you guys!!