Friday, August 21, 2009

Fall Already

After falling asleep reading on the floor last night, Brenden just woke up, rolled over and picked back up where he left off in his book. No bathroom break, no stretching, nothing.

Fall is in the air. Last night Doug walked out the door and said, "It smells like Fall." If you don't know what that means, you live in the wrong place! It is a crisp, cold, wonderful smell. The fireweed is mostly red up in Anchorage, indicating that it is fall. It is a little slower down here on the peninsula. You really know it's fall in Alaska when they start plowing down all of the vegetation on the side of the road to make room for piles of snow. I sadly watched last week as they plowed the bushes that hide our house from the road. Not all of them, but enough. Along the highway, it looks like a 20 foot lawnmower drove down the side of the road.

Summer was brief. Texas to Alaska is a big change. I can' t say that I miss the humidity, but being able to swim year round was a perk. I had a perma-tan back then. I looked like I was wearing a swim suit even when I was naked. Now my skin never sees the light of day. Jacket weather is nice, but I'm not sure about year round. We did have some warm days, but it was like I was always sitting here waiting for summer and now it's gone. I'm not ready to start preparing for snow!

I have lots to do, but I don't want to do anything after the last few days I had. I do, however need to stop by Brenden's school and make sure everything is ready for him to make his appearance on Monday. There's so much more to do though. We'll see how far I get.

1 comment:

Leacayoungart said...

I love that you guys say that too. I was trying to tell my dad the other day that it smells like fall here. He acted like I was crazy. =]