Thursday, November 5, 2009

Kitchen before and after

So it's only one wall, but I am working on the rest, so you will have to wait...
Before (previous owners)
After
We got rid of the obnoxious cupboards over the island within the first month of living here. They hung so low that you couldn't see under them without stooping every time someone wanted to talk to you. We also tiled the floor. The black board currently has 5 coats of magnetic paint and still isn't as magnetic as I would like, so I think I'll be using the rest of the quart of paint. It's not cheap - buy a piece of metal. I couldn't find one big enough or I would have. Next I will paint it with chalkboard paint and then the little shelf will hold chalk and an eraser. It will be our message board and a place for the kids to color. I designed the vinyl lettering and a woman in our ward made it for me. I totally believe what it says. I cook to show I care and to have a creative art form.
I have always wanted little cubby holes on either side of my sink. I finally got around to kind of decorating them - with things from around the house. I didn't shop for a SINGLE thing up there - I want you to know that. Maybe someday they'll be cuter, but for now, the decorating was free. They are hearing aid storage, so ignore that little "decoration."

The other walls will be tan, so it won't be too exciting when I'm done, but I just can't handle all of the white around here. Doug finds this funny. I wouldn't let him paint our first house because I thought the white made it look "clean." Now I think white is boring. We women can never make up our minds, huh?

10 comments:

Leacayoungart said...

Your kitchen is so cute. I just loved it. Thanks for having us it was fun.

Emily Hurtado said...

I LOVE IT! I hope plane ticket prices are cheap enough for us to come visit next summer to see it for ourselves.

John Zakimi Kelly said...

It looks incredible! Where do you find time for these projects? I am jealous of all the storage! It is a very warm and inviting room!

The Porter Family said...

SO CUTE!! Love it! I can't wait to see the rest. :)

Alicia J said...

Very cute! I love everything about it!

The Boehme Family said...

Sarah - I locked Ethan in his room - pretending to myself that he would take a nap. The better questions should be: Erin, where do you find time to wash and scrub the paint out of your children's clothing after you do these projects?

I should open the cupboards and take a picture to show you the fun storage inside. I fell in love with these cabinets at first sight. The left two swing open to spice racks mounted to the door and spice racks hanging inside. Then the spice racks swing open to shelves behind them. I LOVE them. The right ones are too deep in my opinion. They hold so much stuff that it gets lost at the back. BUT, they also hold my microwave. A sneaky hiding spot!

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!!

Anonymous said...

WE like your bright, cheerful wall,painting is a lot of work but worth the effort when you are done.We love you guys, good job Erin!! Gma and Gpa Boehme

Anonymous said...

whats up dudes I liked the pictures, we wanted to do our pumpkin like that but it ended up being a scarecrow on a fence and then kirsten wanted a moon around it so it turned out to be a crucified scarecrow looking thing haha school is busy im excited for a break during thanksgiving. i took kirstens brother out the other day to shoot some geese we saw a lot but dindn't get any shots, check you guys later Greg and Kirsten

Ter said...

I LOVE IT ERIN!!!! You did a fantastic job..... You are so talented.... if you ever need someone to keep an eye on the boys while your in town call me...