Sunday, September 26, 2010


Cameron Boehme
(middle name still being debated)
September 19, 2010
7:33 a.m.
7 lbs. 13 oz. 21 in.
Doug and I stayed up late on the 18th watching The Back-up Plan (and making fun of the lady in labor in the movie. The YouTube video misses the best part - she sounds like a goat.) and then went to bed.  I woke up in pain and looked at my watch at 1:44 a.m.  I silently had contractions every 5 minutes for the next hour.  Finally, the contraction that began at 2:45, I leaned over Doug (fully intending to wake him up - and it worked) and he asked me if I was okay.  I told him no.  

I got out of bed and walked around and around my kitchen island and back and forth across the dining room to see if the contractions would continue and immediately they were 2 minutes apart BUT they only lasted 30 seconds.  Supposedly, if you are really in labor, contractions last 60-90 seconds.  Around 3:00 I got in the shower, just in case I had to go to the hospital.  At 3:30 I called the hospital (while still standing in the shower) and told them I lived 45 minutes from the hospital, this was my 4th child, I was having contractions 2 minutes apart, but they only lasted 30 seconds.  The nurses had a little discussion about me and decided I was not in labor, but I should call them with an update in an hour.  My contractions finally started lasting 45 seconds, so I decided we should probably call someone to come over to our house, just in case.

You see, I have had family visiting for the last 8 weeks.  They left on the 18th.  I was due on the 20th and Doug's mom arrived on the night of the 21st.  I had a whole three days with no family here and I had to go into labor on day one of those 3 days.  Oh, and Doug was supposed to be at work all of those days too.  I had no plan.

We called a very nice woman in our ward who happens to have 3 teenage daughters and asked if she could spare any of them for the morning.  I felt terrible since we never even previously discussed this with her.  She, herself, came to our rescue.  While we waited for her to arrive, I did my hair and make-up.  Doug takes a lot of pictures.  You must always be ready for a photo shoot.
At 4:15 we left for the hospital.  Contractions sitting in the car are terrible.  I just want you to know that.  I called at 4:30 (when I was supposed to call with my update) and told the nurse I was on my way.  5:00, I was at the hospital.  Doug had been saying for weeks that we needed to get some "belly shots."  This was our last opportunity.  
5:20, I was wearing a gown with my rear end hanging out the back.  It is also hard to leave a urine sample mid-contraction.  When the nurse told me she was going to check me, I told her I would hit her if she told me I was dilated to a 2.  I had been 60% effaced for 4 weeks and dilated to a 2 for a week.
 I was a 7 and "very squishy."  I'm not sure, but I am almost positive that "very squishy" is not a medical term.  We heard the nurse call the doctor and tell her that she couldn't tell how effaced I was because I was so "squishy."  My doctor had also used this term when she checked me at 36 weeks and was surprised at my "squishiness" for being a 4th time mom.  

My contractions got harder, but really, not that much longer.  I hated the doctor when she finally made me climb into the bed because then I had a harder time dealing with the contractions.  I will admit that a time or two, I swatted the doctor's hand away or asked, "Do you really have to do that?" during the final stages of labor.

When the doctor asked if I would mind if the resident was involved in my delivery, I guess I missed the part where she implied, "The resident will deliver your baby, right after we have a debate about your cervix, where the resident will be unsure if you are complete or not."  I kind of thought "involved" would be a little less involved.  As the resident felt around (not comfortable) and tried to explain what she felt to the doctor, I wanted to yell, "Could YOU, the DOCTOR, please stick your hand in there because she is taking a REALLY long time and appears not to have a clue what she is doing!"  I was patient and kept my mouth mostly shut.

I about squeezed the life out of Doug's hand when I delivered Ethan, so this time I refused to hold his hand at all.  I did however, in the very end, squeeze his arm - hard.  Doug was so reassuring and kept telling me what a great job I was doing.  He loves me.

7:33 a.m., after pushing for 8 minutes (I won't go into detail why, but this could have taken less time), Cameron arrived.  I pushed through 2 contractions laying on my back and then once they had me turn on my side, his head popped right out.  Doug cut the cord, Cameron peed on all the medical equipment, and then I cuddled with my new, naked, little boy.
And then the resident took forever to deliver the placenta.  I kept thinking, "Can't you just pull it out?  That's really not pleasant." and then the doctor said, "Just pull it out." and then there was relief... until the doctor started massaging my uterus.  They shouldn't call it massaging.  It ruins the entire word for me.

I really like the hospital here.  I delivered Cameron in the same room I stayed in for the entire time I was there.  They do everything in that one room.  I have never seen the first bath, dads always get to go to that, but they did it right there in the room.  They can do everything except the hearing check (which Cameron failed - we will assume because of fluid in his ears) right there in the room.  And they have good food.  And lots of it.

I got up, showered, did my hair and make-up, and felt great, other than the uterine cramps that can make a woman wish for death.  I promise you, they get worse with each kid.
 My stay was pleasant.  By the next afternoon, I was off all pain meds, Cameron was nursing great, and the nurses were wondering why I was still there.  They kept asking me what more there was that they could do for me.  One nurse asked me if I was ready to go home.  I replied, "I have 3 kids at home," she said, "Oh, that you need to go care for?" and I said, "No, dad can do that."  She obviously has never had 3 boys at home.
"Doug is such a good dad, he could be a mom" is what my grandma told me when I called to tell her about Cameron.  She is right.  Doug took over my mom duties and made an insane number of trips back and forth between schools, home, and the hospital.  All hauling a boy with a broken leg.  He has made lunches, taken the boys everywhere they need to be, and made sure I am well rested.
I am taking advantage of having Doug home for two weeks, as well as his mom here.  They are taking great care of me.  For the past week, I have basically had one child to care for, not four.  I am taking every opportunity to hold Cameron because I know that when all of my help is gone and I have to go back to my life, he will get held much less.  Brenden, Nolan, and Ethan love their little brother and are sweet and gentle with him.  We're excited to have Cameron in our family and love him to pieces already.
More pictures and updates to come!


Nolo and Lauren said...

Congrats!!! Great pictures. Enjoyed your post. Definitely take advantage of the extra help. btw... you look great in all the pictures. ;)

KBlack said...

He is so beautiful! Congrats, the boys look so happy.

Amy said...

lol, I love reading your observations, you crack me up. Congrats on the new little one, I look forward to meeting him some day!

Emily Hurtado said...

YAY! Thanks for the complete story. And they even had yummy food - lucky!! I can't wait for my little guy, you made me even more baby hungry. Cameron is such a cutie, I can't wait to meet him.

Anonymous said...

He looks perfect!

Celeste said...

I love him already! He is so cute, especially his little nose! So glad everything went well and can't wait to see him!

The Porter Family said...

Yay! Congratulations!! He is so precious. And PLEASE don't tell me the uterine contractions get worse with each kid. I noticed mine were worse with #2 than #1, but I don't know if I can handle them getting any worse than THAT. Ugh. Cameron's a cutie!!

LA Law said...

Congratulations! Very exciting!

Whitney said...

Oh my goodness! I laughed about the whole intern thing. BTW I would have completely told that person to take their hand out before I took it out for them and did it all myself if they couldn't hurry it up and were taking that long! LOL Anyways, I'm sooo happy you have another handsome baby boy. The pictures are very cute! Maybe it's my turn to come to Alaska?! Umm when is it half way warm there?!?!?! I'm afraid to find out that it's probably never half way warm... Been in Idaho for 3 weeks and I'm freezing my butt off here!!! Love you guys lots! Whitney

Abby said...

I love details of baby births. I am especially impressed by what a strong lady you are! You just do hard things, whereas I complain a LOT about EVERYTHING. I am amazed. Well done. He really is beautiful!

Nola said...

So CUTE! Enjoy the royal treatment before you have to face reality. ;)
I laugh at the nurses responses to you staying longer than they expected. My nurse friend in Provo said 1st time mothers are anxious to leave the hospital, but most of the experienced mom enjoy the added days.

munyer jerk chicken said...

So, so, so sweet Erin! Congratulations to all of you. BTW, I love your writing. And I do agree that the uterine contractions are THE WORST!!!

Anonymous said...

Kirsten and I just watched the Back up Plan and we both felt embarrassed watching it, she was definitely a goat giving labor. And Lopez in the kitchen stuffing her face yea it was pretty embarrassing to just watch.

Karen said...

Erin, you write like you talk - I love it. Emily Bombeck would be proud. Hummm sideline activity for when you can't find anything else to do? I read everything. I'm sitting over here laughing like crazy. I can hardly wait to show Jim. He'll love it & we'll laugh together when I show him. It's tough not to just hop in the boat & come hug everybody. All your boys are just precious to us. Even thinking of you makes me smile. Congratulations beyond words & with all my heart on your gift of Cameron.

Laurie said...

I agree with the cramps getting worse every time! It's been a month..well, almost. How are you doing? Are the boys helpful? Is Nolan still requesting Swedish fish? You're amazing, hang in there!