Sunday, November 8, 2009

Recipe Book

I am home sick from church today, so I thought I'd share a little story I remembered last night.

About a month ago, I was working outside and it was getting late. Brenden poked his head out the door and asked if he could make dinner. I said, "Sure," thinking we would be having cereal or toast. I came in a while later to see Nolan bustling around setting the table beautifully and Brenden making a gigantic salad. Doug and I thought it was so delicious, Brenden typed up the recipe so I can make the same salad again later.
Yum! Yum! Salad
RECIPE: GET LETTUCE THEN GO GET SPINACH LEAVES NEXT I GET CROUTONS THEN CUT TOMATOES. PEEL AND CUT CUCUMBER. GET SEEDS GRATE THE CHEESE.
Brenden got all of the packages out so he could spell everything correctly. Seeds are sunflower seeds.

From there he has created an entire cookbook called "Brenden and Nolan Cookbook." He typed it up on my computer and toward the end was experimenting with fonts. This is the only handwritten recipe:
Fruity Fruit Snack
get A Few Pechs then get A Few grapes then get A Few slies of Apples then mix it then you make Fruity Fruit Thank you
Quite a few of the recipes are very simple: (anything lowercase is handwritten and capital is typed - in all capital letters)
Brefist fruity oatmeal
RECIPE: MAKE OATMEAL THEN GET FRUIT THEN PUT THE FRUIT BY THE PLATE GET THE MILK OR WATER

Brefist
RECIPE: MAKE CEREAL THEN PUT FRUIT BY THE SIDE OF THE BOWL

Lunch chips + sandwich + fruit
RECIPE: MAKE A SANDWICH THEN GET CHIPS NEXT ALSO GET FRUIT OR GET BANANAS Thak you

Lunch spegete
RECIPE: MAKE SPEGETE THEN PUT GREEN STUFF THEN MAKE IT WEVER YOU WANT Thank you
Green stuff is parmesan cheese - no, ours isn't green, it just comes in a green container.

The only recipe in the "Desrt" section:
BUTER POPCORN movestand popcorn
RECIPE: MAKE POPCORN THEN GO GET THE BUTER PUT THE BUTER ON THE POPCORN
Ocassionally, in between recipes, there is a picture or a comment he has written like: "Great! recipes!" "YUM!"

That made me also think of another story. One night we each colored a Halloween picture to decorate the house. Nolan picked out coloring sheets on the internet one afternoon, so I printed them and he assigned who got which sheet. We colored them and Brenden taped them to the window. Then he decided it was a coloring contest and guess who won? Brenden. I got second and a comment written on my picture that said, "Very cute witch." Nolan got 4th place and a comment that said, "Next time add more color." I wish I had saved them, but I just can't save everything.

Brenden told me this morning that last week he wrote in his journal that he has lots of books, but his mom still keeps buying him more books. What can I say? It's a more true statement than he knows! He sometimes reads my blogs so I can't say much more than that - but trust me, there are more... LOTS more.

No comments: