Friday, January 8, 2010

Check us out!

You know you live in a small place when you can make the paper twice in one year - while generally making little to no effort.  Doug was sitting at work today waiting for someone to pick up their prescription so he could close up shop.  He picked up the paper and started skimming and all of the sudden he saw the words "Adventures on E."  What a surprise!

I was at the pool with the kids and Doug showed up insisting I get out of the pool and read the article on the front page of the paper.  I was wet and had three kids to supervise, so I told him I would read it later.  He was insistent, so I sat down to read the paper.  I was also very surprised to see our blog name appear in the paper.  Can they just do that!?  I mean, I don't care - and I know it's a public blog, but wow.  My blog was in the paper!

The article is called "Blogs offer a way to speak out online."  My short appearance comes in this form:
Some are meant for a specific audience, like a family posting photos and updates of their activities, holidays and milestones as a way to stay in touch with friends and relatives. That’s a popular format among central peninsula bloggers. “Adventures on E” is written by a Nikiski family chronicling family adventures, school activities, health updates and the like. “Basecamp Nikiski” blogs about family ice-fishing expeditions, snowshoeing trips, skiing and watching the Tustumena 200 Sled Dog Race.
The other funny thing is that there aren't that many blogs mentioned, but Basecamp Nikiski is written by Brenden's speech therapist.  Another one I read is Kenai Alaska or Bust:
In Alaska, blogs often have an outdoors or adventure bent, with writers journaling about fishing trips, hunting excursions, camping expeditions and so on. “Kenai Alaska or Bust” tracks a family moving up from the Lower 48 and their attempts to settle into their new home, complete with an erupting volcano and the struggle to put in a decent well.
I happened upon this blog right after we moved here while searching for information about the Thanksgiving events here on the peninsula and have been reading it ever since.  I even email back and forth with the author and met him once - briefly - in an odd encounter.

I still haven't figured out how they found me, but that's ok with me.  I'll enjoy my moment of fame.

*(I feel like now I need to get back to the funny posts I used to share...  and entertain the masses.  Is my life less funny now or do I find it less humorous?)

Oh, and by the way, Ethan's implants were denied again after a level 1 appeal.  That pleasant news came in the mail yesterday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Erin I am so sorry to hear about the confidentiality of the blog and the denial of the implants. I had a family in today whose son has LVAS, they want to know if they can email you or read your blogs. Want your permission first....Jamie