Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Fishing on the Kenai

Aug. 12 may have been the coldest day of my life thus far (AUGUST, yes, August 12).  We went Salmon fishing on the Kenai river at 6:00 a.m.  
Doesn't it look cold?
Grant finally defrosted around 2:00 in the afternoon.
Those skinny guys need to chub up and get some insulation.
Poor Greg kept catching fish we weren't allowed to keep like trout and Dolly Varden.  Finally, we decided we better take a picture whether he was allowed to keep it or not, just so people would believe he caught something... 
My trophy trout.
The man is Dave, owner of Hooky Charters.  Talk about a great guy!
Warming up, slightly.
I counted at least 5 layers here.  Doug asked me to hold his coat toward the beginning of the trip.  I was happy to "hold" it for him the whole day.  (I also have a hoodie on, with the hood up.)  Sometimes I just had to put my head down and enjoy the warmth of my own breath, which I usually find disgusting.
Greg pretending Grant's salmon was his own catch.
Grant was the only one who caught a fish we were allowed to keep.  
It was a slow fishing day, but one of the best days I've had in a long time.

No comments: