Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Happy Spring!

It is spring, right?  We woke to 4 new inches of snow this morning.  It has been in the high 30s and low 40s most of the week, so things are melting and freezing pretty constantly.  Our road is a mess!  It is a lovely combination of water, dirt, snow and ice with huge ruts from the bus that lives next door.

Just as I finished typing that, I glanced over at the local paper Doug brought home from work.  The headline says, "Breaking up is hard to do."  That is what this time of year is called - break up.  Crews are working pretty constantly to keep roads clear in town, but out here in Nikiski, we aren't really a city with city crews, so things go at their own pace.  We have to pass through a small lake on the road at the turnoff to our house.  Ethan's speech therapist told me this morning that we still have WAY more snow than they do in town.

The good news is, things are actually melting!  I might have even seen some grass along the side of the road!  I am already planning my fence and garden.  It will still be a while before either can happen, but the planning in my head has begun (keeping me from sleeping at night).  The boys are saving every last dime they acquire or find for a swing set.

We are approaching 15 hours of daylight, an uplifting change from the darkness.  It is light when I leave at 6:15 and the sun is up by the time I come home at 7:30.  When we went to bed at 10:30 the other night, it was still dusk outside.  We have seen more and more moose and are dreading the bears coming out of hibernation.

The spring cleaning has also begun.  I cleaned out my pantry (and the Easter Bunny re-gifted the candy in it to my children for Easter - and now it's back in my pantry).  I am looking forward to more cleaning and shedding of a few square feet of stuff.  That is something we really should have done before we moved it all to Alaska, but moving day came too quickly to get through it all.  Spring may not be in the air outside, but it is certainly in the air inside our home.

2 comments:

The Porter Family said...

You poor thing. I could never survive up there. You are one strong, brave woman! I hope that those boys get their swing set soon!

munyer jerk chicken said...

I wish that indoor spring feeling would hit me... SOON! I keep telling myself that I should start sorting through our stuff and packing some of it up, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe tomorrow.

I just spent a few minutes reading through some of your posts. They are hilarious (that's a compliment!). I love your adventures and your narrations of them all.